WHEAT ASSESSMENT INFORMATION
For Handlers of Colorado Produced Wheat
June 1, 2016
- Wheat Subject to Assessment: All varieties of wheat grown in the 32 counties covered by the Wheat Marketing Order are subject to assessment. The counties covered by the Wheat Marketing Order include: Adams, Arapahoe, Baca, Bent, Boulder, Cheyenne, Crowley, Custer, Douglas, El Paso, Elbert, Fremont, Huerfano, Jefferson, Kiowa, Kit Carson, Larimer, Las Animas, Lincoln, Logan, Moffat, Morgan, Otero, Phillips, Prowers, Pueblo, Rio Blanco, Routt, Sedgwick, Washington, Weld, and Yuma.
- Assessment Rate: The assessment rate is two cents (.02) per bushel effective April 13, 2014, and continuing until changed by the Commissioner of Agriculture. The maximum rate of assessment is two cents per bushel.
- Responsibility for Collection: The Wheat Marketing Order states in part "assessments shall be collected from the producers by the first handler thereof." A "handler" is defined as any person engaged in the operation of selling, shipping or distributing wheat which he purchased or acquired from a producer, or which he is shipping on behalf of a producer. The Wheat Marketing Order further states "any handler within the state of Colorado who fails or neglects to collect such assessment from any producer shall be deemed guilty of a violation of this Order."
- Assessment forms: "Wheat Assessment Reporting Form(s)" are provided by the Colorado Wheat Administrative Committee (CWAC) or can be obtained from our website, www.coloradowheat.org by clicking the CWAC tab and clicking on assessment forms. These forms must be filled out completely providing all information requested. You may submit your own printout without filling out a “Wheat Assessment Reporting Form” as long as each transaction specifies the date, name of producer, address, bushels, the amount of assessment, and the signature of the handler.
- How To Remit: Completed assessment forms and payment for the total amount of assessment collected are to be mailed to the CWAC office located at 4026 South Timberline Road, Suite 100, Fort Collins, CO 80525. Make checks payable to: Colorado Wheat Administrative Committee.
- Time of Filing Remittances: Assessments are to be remitted on a monthly basis and are due by the 10th of the following month. A quarterly remittance can be arranged if necessary and must have prior approval by the CWAC. In special cases, a semi-annual or annual remittance can be arranged, but only if very small quantities of wheat are handled. The CWAC will notify handlers when its records indicate that assessment remittances from the handler are past due. Handlers must notify the CWAC if they desire a remittance schedule other than monthly. A simple form to be completed by the handler is provided for this purpose.
- Errors: "Wheat Assessment Reporting Form(s)" are tabulated to verify bushel and dollar figures. Handlers will be notified of any mistakes found. A debit or credit will be applied toward the handler's remittance account to correct the mistake.
- Assessment Receipts: Assessment receipts must be given to producers requesting them. Elevator and grain handler settlement sheets in many cases will be satisfactory to producers.
- FSA - CCC Loan Wheat: Wheat assessments are collected by the FSA when any loan (regular or reserve) is obtained by the producer from the Commodity Credit Corporation (CCC). When wheat which was formerly under loan (regular or reserve) is marketed to a handler, the producer must submit (to the handler) documented proof that such wheat has previously satisfied wheat assessment requirements. The CWAC provides a form to the FSA for this purpose entitled "Proof of Payment of Assessment in Compliance with the Colorado Wheat Marketing Order." If documented proof is not presented, the wheat assessment is to be collected by the handler in the usual manner. You must include the original yellow copy with your assessment payment. If the original yellow copy is not provided with the assessment payment, the handler will be responsible for paying the assessment. COPIES ARE NOT ACCEPTED.
- Assessment Partially Refundable: Any producer may request and receive a refund of that portion of the assessment levied which exceeds one-half cent per bushel from the CWAC pursuant to the following attached rules and regulations established by the Commissioner of Agriculture. Handlers are not authorized to refund assessments to producers. All refunds must be made by CWAC pursuant to the rules and regulations established by the Commissioner of Agriculture.
- Inspection of Records: The Commissioner of Agriculture or his duly authorized representative (including the CWAC) are lawfully permitted to inspect books and records pertaining to the collection of the assessment.
- Further Information: Handlers having questions or desiring information regarding the wheat assessment should contact: Colorado Wheat Administrative Committee, 4026 South Timberline Road, Suite 100, Fort Collins, CO 80525, 970-449-6994, firstname.lastname@example.org.